Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hi, from NOLA!!

Hi Everyone!

I'm down in New Orleans, LA currently beginning my second week. I have come down here for a cultural experience involving the people of Katrina. Katrina happened about 5 years ago, but from the looks of the 9th Ward, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It is an area of our country that is being neglected and needs to be fixed. When I first thought about coming down here, I knew it was going to be a difficult experience but I never imagined it to be this difficult. From the first day we were here it's been an emotional roller coaster going from seeing the houses still there from the aftermath to talking with the people who stayed here through the storm and the ones who came back. I've found that home and community are an important aspect of their everyday lives here. People normally sit on their porches and talk with neighbors or anyone passing by. Since Katrina, this is not as prevalent because of the lack of people returning and because of those who unfortunately did not survive the storm. From those that I have talked to already, they all seem to have a very positive outlook on life and they know things will continue to get better even though it's a constant struggle.

That's all for now! I will be posting more later this week hopefully!!
-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment