Monday, July 19, 2010

A Story from the Garth Fagan Summer Dance Intensive

Hey UWM! It's been a while! Ben and I are sitting at the one place we get an Internet connection, (The Spot Coffee House) and I thought I'd share an amazing experience we had last week. We just finished our first week of the intensive and within the first five days, we took our first field trip. The trip took us to Nazareth College for a tech rehearsal for the Elizabeth Streb dance company. They performed this last weekend and we were privileged to attend her first tech rehearsal. We didn't get to see much of the show, but what we witnessed afterwards is what really blew our minds.

After a delicious pizza party, we were taken into a smaller theatre for a very intimate conversation between Garth Fagan, Elizabeth Streb, and a moderator. It's difficult to put into words what we experienced but what I can say is that the conversation lasted an hour but could have gone all night. Both Garth and Elizabeth are incredibly intelligent, articulate, creative, inspirational, intellectual, insightful, innovative, and welcoming individuals.

The entire audience got a sneak peek into their choreographic minds, their history, their viewpoints, and their intense humanistic natures. When the conversation came to a close, everyone immediately stood up to show their appreciation with a standing ovation. Like I said earlier, I could have listened to the two of them talk forever but what I did hear blew me away. I felt like I was in the presence of two dance genius' who would influence the way I dance, the way I watch dance, and the way I create dance for the rest of my life.

So far, this experience takes the cake for the most influential moment of this intensive. The technique classes, the reps, the company members, the other dancers, and the other classes are all allowing me to grow as well (I'll talk about them at another time) but so far, our "private" conversation with Garth and Elizabeth will stay with me (and hopefully the other dancers here) for a long time

5 comments:

  1. Andy, Thanks for sharing your experience with the folks back home! XXO janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thrilled you are having a fantastic time, Andy. Keep us posted!!!! Warm Regards Simone

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience... keep writing about it. Thanks.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, the "style" or "supplimentary" activities and classes of this institute are extremely rewarding and profound. Its been quiet the experiance. We are very eager to get back to milwaukee though! Missing you all!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work you guys!!! Can't wait to see you when you get back to us in Miltown...

    ReplyDelete